Now here’s an idea. Book clubs are just so popular nowadays, I have been in the same one with the same amazing group for over 3 years now and we have chalked up quite a number of reads along the way. Invariably when hosting I start thinking about what to cook the week before but theming the meal to the book is something I have never thought of and if it could be done simply then what a winner.
Recipes include Roman Punch for The Age of Innocence, or Sabzi Challow (spinach and rice) with Lamb for The Kite Runner, or Swedish Meatballs and Glögg for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, it certainly an idea for inspiration when deciding on what to cook.
Here are some from the book below but I think just sharing them around would be even more fun! Pass on if you have any….
- Kathryn Stockett, The Help (Demetrie’s Chocolate Pie and Caramel Cake)
- Sara Gruen, Water for Elephants (Oyster Brie Soup)
- Jodi Picoult, My Sister’s Keeper (Brian Fitzgerald’s Firehouse Marinara Sauce)
- Abraham Verghese, Cutting for Stone (Almaz’s Ethiopian Doro Wot and Sister Mary Joseph Praise’s Cari de Dal)
- Annie Barrows, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Annie Barrows’s Potato Peel Pie and Non-Occupied Potato Peel Pie)
- Lisa See, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Lisa See’s Deep-Fried Sugared Taro)